My Blog List

Welcome

LatEsT bLabbEriNgs..

15/04/2013

Aubergine? Brinjal? Eggplant?

Previously during Teaching Reading and Vocabulary class, lecturer asked, 'Who knows what is a aubergine?'
And, I said that aubergine was a brinjal.
But he said it is incorrect! >.<
He said that aubergine is different type of brinjal but not brinjal. >.<

I know, I remember reading in my textbook when I was 8 or 9 years old!
I remember, it was in the textbook. I remember because I learned that,
1) Brinjal is also known as aubergine
2) Ladies fingers is known as okra

So, what I'm trying to say is that, I was not satisfied. :P

Then, I searched in the internet. Guess what. I was right. Aubergine is a brinjal.

It was called an "eggplant" in the US, Canada, and Australia as the first eggplants were purely ornamental and featured egg-shaped white and yellow fruit. 

In Britain, it is called "aubergine," the same as in French.
In South African English and in India, it is called a "brinjal."
The Italians call it "melanzane," which means "crazy apple."
 Source: http://www.indusage.com.au/news/food/6089-brinjal-aubergine-or-eggplant.html


The plant known in North America as the eggplantSolanum melongena, is a species of flowering plant known in French and British English as theaubergine. Also known as the brinjalbrinjal eggplantmelongene, or guinea squash, it is a member of the family Solanaceae. It bears a fruit of the same name, eggplant or aubergine, widely used in cooking, most notably moussaka and ratatouille

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggplant

In Britain (and France), the large purple varieties are known as aubergines. Other (pale and/or small) varieties aren't usually found outside of Asian supermarkets, where I imagine they are still referred to as brinjal.

 The name 'eggplant' is used in the US, Canada, and the Antipodes, mainly because the lighter varieties are more common there, which arguably have the colour of eggshell.
They are, however, all just different varieties of the same plant, like yellow and red tomatoes.



Conclusion: Brinjal, Aubergine, Eggplant. :: THEY ARE ALL THE SAME!:: :p

Have a nice day people! :D

0 0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...